A few weeks ago we headed into Leeds city centre to visit to Hilton Hotel, to play golf. Yes- that’s right, to play golf. Of course it wasn’t any usual game of golf, it was all part of Online Golf’s idea to try encourage kids to learn both how to play golf and also be taught new skills.
Gabriel and Willow had a fabulous afternoon. I will be honest and admit I was surprised at just how much they enjoyed themselves. Golf, let’s face it is something that is associated with middle age men. Yes if we go to the seaside we will often dabble with crazy golf, but the kids have never been ‘shown’ how to hold a club correctly, had any proper tuition or even held a full sized array of clubs before so they actually found it exciting!
We played three different games, after a brief introduction and some tuition for us all, we split into groups and headed off for some golfing! We were sent over to the ‘golf bowling’ station first. Straight away the kids were pleased, having recently discovered ten pin bowling, they loved attempting to knock down the pins! They each had a go at the target practice too. With each attempt, their skills were definitely improving, it was great to see their self confidence growing too.
Next we played crazy golf (my favourite..) and it was hilarious. Again Gabriel and Willow loved it, and Willow even managed a hole in one! Gabriel took to the tuition especially well here, he listened and acted upon the instruction quite seriously, it was great to see him acting so maturely, I think school has definitely taught him these learning skills.
The ‘chipping’ station consisted on several nets with scores. This was difficult for the kids actually, but there was also a competition for adults. Kellie from Big Fashionista took the trophy here, superb performance Kellie, well done!
Online Golf provided us with lots of golfing fun and so I’ve decided to share with you 5 reasons why kids should get into golf:
1. More kids can play golf! For golf you don’t have to be tall, strong or fast or lean. Successful golfers come in all shapes, sizes and ages.
2. It’s low-risk! Chances of injuries in golf are very small to non-existent compared to other popular sports like football or rugby. Being no-contact, golf is a very safe, respectful sport.
3. It’s healthy! Golf is an outdoors sport giving kids the opportunity to exercise al fresco whilst enjoying nature.
4. It creates bonds with friends & family! Whether your child plays golf with family members, friends or takes lessons with a pro, mentoring and playing together will create unique and close bonds that will last a lifetime.
5. Your child will learn important life lessons! Playing golf, kids will experience highs and lows, from the first hole-in-one or birdie to a misplaced shot in a bunker. Golf will teach them that though we can’t always win, we always have another shot in life and skill comes with practice!
Overall we had a fabulous afternoon. It was good to see lots of blogging friends and also catch up with some old faces I’ve not seen for AGES! Goodie bags were handed out and we had a tasty lunch too. Special thanks to Online Golf for the invitation to such a fun event!