Choking. Something that can happen to anyone, at any time in their life. I have myself, witnessed several choking incidents in my life which fortunately, were resolved safely. Although, one of those incidents was particularly scary and if I had not of previously completed a first aid course and acted the way I did, I am not sure the outcome would have been the same.
Despite being trained however, seeing a loved one choke, especially your child or baby is terrifying. That is why it’s important to know exactly what to do and to feel confident that you have the knowledge and skills to deal with the situation calmly and safely. St John’s Ambulance believe that everyone should have the skills and confidence to know what to do in an emergency. Knowing basic first aid can be the difference between life and death – and every week they hear of new people whose lives have been saved because someone nearby knew what to do.
Research carried out in November 2014 by Opinion Matters on behalf of St John Ambulance (by surveying 4,000 parents in England) found that 40% of the parents have witnessed their own child choke and worryingly, almost four-fifths of those parents did not know what to do in the situation.
The research also showed that:
* 53% of parents said knowing first aid would help them feel better prepared and less scared
* Of those who said they knew how to save a choking baby, only 29% knew the correct, recommended technique. Nearly three-quarters of parents (71%) selected the wrong answer when given multiple choice options.
* 39% of parents think choking is the most important first aid skill to have as a parent
* Of the parents who’d witnessed their baby choke, 77% said their baby choked on food, 14% on vomit, and 9% on toys. Other causes included coins, mucus/phlegm, marbles and pen lids.
Responding to these concerns, the nation’s leading first aid charity has launched a campaign, which includes a star-studded animated advert that teaches everyone what to do if a baby starts to choke called The Chokeables. It features the voices of David Walliams, David Mitchell, Johnny Vegas and Sir John Hurt that showing people how to help a choking baby.
The film starts with David Mitchell, as a chewed up pen lid, asking for the audience’s attention. A jelly baby (Johnny Vegas) then explains that they’re all fed up of babies choking on innocent objects like them. Walliams’ lofty Princess character demonstrates the correct technique, up to five back blows, followed by up to five chest thrusts on the jelly baby, now turning blue who then quickly coughs out a peanut (Sir John Hurt) before returning to his normal shade.
By just spending 40 seconds watching the following video you can learn how to give first aid to a choking baby and who knows you may just save someone’s life one day, please give it a watch and let me know what you think in the comments below.
About St John’s Ambulance..
As the nation’s leading first aid charity, St John Ambulance believes that nobody should die because they needed first aid and they didn’t not get it. Every year thousands of people die in situations where first aid could have given them a chance to live. St John Ambulance teaches people first aid so that they can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved. For further information take a look at the St John’s Ambulance website.